Below is my crappy opinion that, likely, is the result of lack of sleep combined with a couple interactions this morning with some really awful people. If reading me rant is not your cup of tea today, please move along. It will make your day happier.
If your Great, Big, New Idea is some shitty e-commerce site whose sole purpose is to sell more shit to people who don’t need more shit, thereby consuming more of our precious natural resources for the sake of consumerism all in the name of making you rich so that you, in turn, can go out and buy more shit that you don’t need….
I don’t want to hear about it.
Seriously, we’ve already fucked up this world so much with our short-sighted, selfish, and ignorant behavior. Isn’t it time we stop passing the buck down to future generations? Can’t we start cleaning up this mess?
I think that we’ve acquired enough game consoles, smart phones, plastic quad copters, worthless junk from Asia, and cheap clothes from Wal-Mart that we can start using our collective intelligence and work ethic to help people. Truly help people that desperately need help. I’m not talking about sending $20 to some poor, first world woman who broke her foot and has to scale back her spending for a little while.
You know what happened yesterday while we all sipped our lattes and caught up with each other on Facebook in our 4500 square foot homes that we need for 4 people?
- A child starved to death.
- A woman was beaten by her douchebag husband.
- Someone who is talented and passionate about engineering, or health care, was just denied access to education on it.
- A husband lost his wife too early to an easily curable disease.
- Thousands of birds died because they don’t know that our trash isn’t food.
- A corrupt politician, military official, or religious figurehead abused his power to destroy someone’s life.
- A lot of other bad shit that I don’t want to list here.
So I’m sorry if reading about your boring new company on TechCrunch this morning that specializes in flash sales on bath soaps, ugly designer shirts, skinny jeans, and art from some pretentious jackass I’ve never heard of before didn’t get me all ablaze with excitement.